Sunday, May 6, 2007

Almost Vegenaise

It's pretty much impossible to find eggless mayonnaise here in Thailand, and the mayonnaise that we've found in the market just doesn't taste very good to us. Elizabeth Leamon found this recipe in one of her cookbooks, minus the Xanthan gum. I tried adding it because the mayonnaise consistency was just too runny for me, and I've been thrilled with the results. I really don't miss Vegenaise any more!

1/2 cup firm silken tofu
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp fresh lemon or lime juice or apple cider vinegar
2 tsp prepared mustard
3 green onions, white parts only, optional
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 to 1/3 tsp Xanthan gum

In blender, combine all ingredients except Xanthan gum and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Add the Xanthan gum and blend well, scraping the sides a number of times and gently stirring the surface toward the center until the mixture is smooth again. If the mixture isn't blending well, stop the blender and make sure that the mayonnaise is stirred down close to the blades. Refrigerate.

Makes close to 1 cup.

If you use the vinegar, this will keep for weeks in the refrigerator like a store-bought mayonnaise will. I usually double or triple the recipe when I make it and keep it in a wide-mouthed canning jar. The Xanthan gum makes the consistency spreadable rather than soupy.

3 comments:

Mom in The Dalles said...

Hi, Kari, I didn't know you had a blog--how great. Now another way to keep posted on your life. Love you and hope you have a great day. Mom

Leslie Foster said...

I will most definitely have to try this recipe...it sounds amazing.

Unknown said...

I made this the other day, xanthan gum and all, and used it in a sweet potato salad. Every non-vegan body loved it =) Thanks for the recipes!